EBPrime presents Underground Eurobeat podcast

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
the_ditz
Euroheater

EBPrime presents Underground Eurobeat podcast

Post by the_ditz » Apr 10th, '09, 15:10

Download links
Mirror 1 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MQ1NOI31
Mirror 2 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ytnq6f
Mirror 3 - http://www.mudkips.nl/eb/Eurobeat%20Prime%20Podcast.mp3
(thanks MKwiakaku!)
(More mirrors to follow soon)

Created by Eurobeat fans for Eurobeat fans, this podcast has been created by members of this forum and contains original tracks and some remixes.

The podcast is hosted by Odyssey (zoupzuop2) and contains the following tracks (producers/labels shown in brackets):

The Eurobeat Prime Underground Eurobeat Non-Stop - mixed by the Paradise Last's Shinraikan
- BURN MY HEART / Ray Dynamo (DTZ Project)
- CHERRY BLOSSOMS / Odyssey (Odyssey)
- EUROBOT / Eurobot (Maitre Music)
- NOBODY'S PERFECT / Miley Cyrus (The Paradise Last)
- HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH / Belinda Carlisle (The Paradise Last)
- GHOSTS OF SUBURBIA / Odyssey (Odyssey)
- TIP OF MY TONGUE (Instrumental) / Odyssey (Odyssey)
- CARTOON HEROES / Aqua (The Paradise Last)
- BRAINWASH / Nina Francis (#Infinity)
- BEHIND THESE HAZEL EYES / Kelly Clarkson (The Paradise Last)
- COME CLEAN / Hilary Duff (The Paradise Last)
- FIGHT! / Odyssey (Odyssey)

The extended versions:

NOBODY'S PERFECT (The Paradise Last Remix) / Miley Cyrus (The Paradise Last)
EUROBOT / Eurobot (Maitre Music)
CHERRY BLOSSOMS / Odyssey (Odyssey)
CARTOON HEROES (The Paradise Last Remix) / Aqua (The Paradise Last)
COME CLEAN (Lost In Paradise Euro Mix) / Hilary Duff (The Paradise Last)
GHOSTS OF SUBURBIA / Odyssey (Odyssey)
BEHIND THESE HAZEL EYES (Lost In Paradise Mix) / Kelly Clarkson (The Paradise Last)
TIP OF MY TONGUE (Instrumental) / Odyssey (Odyssey)
BRAINWASH / Nina Francis (#Infinity)
FIGHT! / Odyssey (Odyssey)
BURN MY HEART / Ray Dynamo (DTZ Project)

Enjoy the tracks and leave any messages or reviews you have below. Congratulations to everyone involved in the production of the tracks and the podcast itself, and here's to the future of Eurobeat Prime's Underground Eurobeat series!
Last edited by the_ditz on Apr 11th, '09, 22:29, edited 3 times in total.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » Apr 10th, '09, 15:17

I hope it's okay to post this here. I wanted it to get the most exposure possible, and as it is created by EBPrime members for EBPrime members, I figure it is a pretty important post ;)

If not, feel free to move it elsewhere.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » Apr 10th, '09, 17:23

This is more than alright! I'm very happy you've done this. :) Advertise it like that wherever you feel it should go.

However, I disagree on one thing. This podcast, while indeed BY Eurobeat Prime members, is not just FOR Eurobeat Prime members; for songs of such quality were not meant for audiences so small. This podcast is for fans across the globe; that they can hear what fans and independent producers with motivation can do, that they can hear Eurobeat like nothing else they've heard from any other label(s)!

This could not have been done without everyone who submitted their music for the world to see. To all who supported this podcast and were so patient while real life kicked my butt during the "stringing-together" process, you have my strong thanks.
In addition, I'd like to give tremendous and thunderous applause to Shinraikan for mixing the Nonstop mix. The Nonstop was VERY professionally done and strengthened the podcast immensely.

No, the announcer does not live in my dumpster anymore. He's moved into my attic and eats stale Girl Scout cookies. :U
May I never let my passion obstruct my respect for others again.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » Apr 10th, '09, 20:35

I did sooooooooo enjoy:

- NOBODY'S PERFECT (The Paradise Last Remix) / Miley Cyrus (The Paradise Last)

-GHOSTS OF SUBURBIA

- BRAINWASH

The only I really didn't like was EUROBOT, I just think this doesn't sound like Eurobeat, the vocals sounds just worse.
Nah not good stuff..

The Paradise Last, make some more songs please :D They're awesome.
Maybe collaboration with Rainbowdragoneyes ? :grin:

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » Apr 10th, '09, 21:35

I've always been a massive fan of The Paradise Last's sound, and all of the tracks on this release from them get me pretty hyped up. The best two are definitely Nobody's Perfect and Behind These Hazel Eyes, but I also love the hook of Catoon Heroes.

Fight! is a very catchy track with great vocal delivery - it stands out from the crowd for sure. Brainwash has a very deep and dark electronic feel that works well with the theme of the song, and I love that hook before the main synth hook - great stuff!

I echo zoupzuop2's thanks to Shin for his work on the non-stop mix, and I also give a massive, massive shoutout to zoupzuop2 himself for all his efforts in making this podcast entertaining for everyone (the announcer from the garbage can was a stroke of genius and was delivered perfectly!)

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » Apr 10th, '09, 22:37

Well, the only song I enjoyed the most was "Burn My Heart". The chorus reminds me of "Burn Burn Get My Fire" by Boogaboo.

The others I enjoyed was actually the remixes but they were all too short for my likings.

The rest was... sorry but... so-so to bleh.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » Apr 10th, '09, 22:46

Hmm.. Boom Boom Numbers Game- Dr. NRG should have been on there too :P

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » Apr 10th, '09, 23:05

Oof! So many comments, so little time! (Lunch breaks simply aren't long enough...)
DarkSky wrote:I did sooooooooo enjoy:

- NOBODY'S PERFECT (The Paradise Last Remix) / Miley Cyrus (The Paradise Last)

-GHOSTS OF SUBURBIA

- BRAINWASH

The only I really didn't like was EUROBOT, I just think this doesn't sound like Eurobeat, the vocals sounds just worse.
Nah not good stuff..

The Paradise Last, make some more songs please :D They're awesome.
Maybe collaboration with Rainbowdragoneyes ? :grin:
Glad to know you enjoyed those tracks! I really tried to get the ABeatC vibe on Ghosts of Suburbia, hopefully you got that out of it too! Brainwash was also a surprising one for me.
Eurobot does have a different flavor to it, doesn't it? I like it for that reason, though. It's very much Mikaeru's unique style, though it doesn't escape that Eurobeat flavor, for my money. :)
We'll see about RDE. ;3 He's rather busy right now with his own projects (we chat pretty often) but we'll see what he's up to if we get a Vol. 2 running. Heck, perhaps next time we'll have other independent producers join the fray! (IIRC, DJ Bouche has been spotted around these parts...)
the_ditz wrote:I've always been a massive fan of The Paradise Last's sound, and all of the tracks on this release from them get me pretty hyped up. The best two are definitely Nobody's Perfect and Behind These Hazel Eyes, but I also love the hook of Catoon Heroes.

Fight! is a very catchy track with great vocal delivery - it stands out from the crowd for sure. Brainwash has a very deep and dark electronic feel that works well with the theme of the song, and I love that hook before the main synth hook - great stuff!

I echo zoupzuop2's thanks to Shin for his work on the non-stop mix, and I also give a massive, massive shoutout to zoupzuop2 himself for all his efforts in making this podcast entertaining for everyone (the announcer from the garbage can was a stroke of genius and was delivered perfectly!)
The Paradise Last has made me love songs I originally hated. I don't know whether to love or hate TPL for that. :U
Thank you for liking Fight! I got the hook idea after my first-ever boxing match (I lost, but you'll be glad to know I really stood my own)!
The announcer is thankful for your input. He just waved his box of Samoas Girl Scout cookies in gratitude. P:
Lebon14 wrote:Well, the only song I enjoyed the most was "Burn My Heart". The chorus reminds me of "Burn Burn Get My Fire" by Boogaboo.

The others I enjoyed was actually the remixes but they were all too short for my likings.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like some of the tracklist. What could have been done to improve some of them in particular?
drnrg wrote:Hmm.. Boom Boom Numbers Game- Dr. NRG should have been on there too :P
If I ever get un-lazy enough to do a second one, we may just have to include that one~!

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » Apr 11th, '09, 01:38

Lebon14 wrote:The rest was... sorry but... so-so to bleh.
Eh, that's really too bad. But then again, you're really not the biggest fan of SinclaireStyle female tracks, are you?

Glad to see that the rest of you guys enjoy Brainwash a lot, though!

I agree with the_ditz that Fight is a really cool piece with an extremely progressive and infectious melodic structure and great vocals to compliment. In general I think that Odyssey is a very strong songwriter, and although his synths have a rather "16-bit" feel to them, he's still excellent at handling them so that they work well with the song itself. Overall, I thought Fight was the clear standout of his works, but Tip Of My Nose was a cool instrumental.

Shinraikan's remixes sound quite professionally-made - I'd love to hear him produce some more original music in the future and not just covers, though.

Eurobot is a really unique and quirky track. I get quite a smile out of the intro for the piece, and the synth hook sounds really cool. The vocals are bit odd, to be honest, and doesn't always feel particularly melodic throughout, but the novelty of using robotic voices is still cool.

Burn My Heart is easily one of the most ecletic and anthematic tracks out of the bunch. It starts off with quite a bang during the intro, and the synthline has a lot of cool ideas that stand out prominently but still flow together quite smoothly. The vocal melody is sheer, classic male goodness with as much angst as a song performed by The Snake, and Ray Dynamo himself delivers his vocals with utmost energy and passion. If I'd change anything about this track, I'd maybe upgrade a few of the synths to sound more authentically eurobeat-like, but as it stands it's still easily one of the biggest standouts that's offered in the podcast, and it's really no surprise to me that it's not only the opening track of the megamix, but also the ending track of the extended versions.

Overall I was very impressed by the material that everyone produced, and I'm definitely looking forward to participating in this project some more in the future. I'd love to apply a variety of new ideas into my productions, plus maybe expand my repertoire of vocalists as well.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » Apr 11th, '09, 02:53

zoupzuop2 wrote:
Lebon14 wrote:Well, the only song I enjoyed the most was "Burn My Heart". The chorus reminds me of "Burn Burn Get My Fire" by Boogaboo.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like some of the tracklist. What could have been done to improve some of them in particular?
Well, the songs seems to be empty. There's missing this heavy feel that we get on SEB... That throws me off.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » Apr 11th, '09, 05:53

Lebon14 wrote:
zoupzuop2 wrote: I'm sorry to hear you didn't like some of the tracklist. What could have been done to improve some of them in particular?
Well, the songs seems to be empty. There's missing this heavy feel that we get on SEB... That throws me off.
Mm. Don't forget that we're independent producers and fans— that is, we can't all afford the high-end equipment and software that most large labels have. In particular, I only have 3 rackmount synths (with a small slew of sounds) which really force my songs into that MIDI sound by default, all of which are hand-me-downs. Others may be in better or worse conditions in contrast.

My musical equipment or lack thereof will never stop me from creating Eurobeat, and I would hope this can be said for all the rest of us in the project.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » Apr 11th, '09, 06:40

Is it possible for these songs to be released individually? The podcast was awesome, but I'd love to fit some of them onto my iPod like regular tracks.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » Apr 11th, '09, 06:50

hey guys I'm listening to it right now. I commend you guys for this effort. I'll be doing a small review someTIME tonight. heck, I might even creat some fantasy sleeves for the songs :D

Woo that was quick! Review TIME. Keep in mind I'm not comparing these songs to any of the other labels level, but grading them according to the other songs on the compilation, so don't compalin if you see the same high 8s and 9s you would see on my SEB review.

1. NOBODY'S PERFECT (The Paradise Last Remix) / Miley Cyrus (The Paradise Last) I like one song by Miley. The Rock/POP song, See You Again, but now I like two. At least this Eurobeatized version of Nobody's perfect sounds ,well perfect. I love the riff the paradise Last has dreamt up for this song. Even the spoken rap sounds very Eurobeat. The sound worlds are only a few steps below professional, so this one really shines and a nice way to start off the cd.
8/10

2. EUROBOT / Eurobot (Maitre Music)
I gotta special place in my Eurobeat heart for Maitre Music, because of the awesome song he created for Dr. NRG. You gotta love this song, though. It's really different and unlike anything I've heard in Eurobeat. There were songs like this back in my Hi Energy days, like Aliens- Video Games. Rofo- Flashlight On Disco Night, as well as Italo Disco's very own Koto. The riff is almost Video Game cartoonish, but I guess that's where the charm comes from. Nice job.
8/10

3. CHERRY BLOSSOMS / Odyssey (Odyssey)
First off. Odyssey has a very cool radio Dee Jay vibe in his voice. Not everyone does. The first thing I noticed was the rather poor recording of the song. Kinda sounds staticy, but aside from that, this is defenitlet form the better side of Oddyssey productions. The riff is the immediate standout as it breaks away from the rest of the song's structure. I allways get a operaetic feeling from his vocals. Might sound quite interesting with an Elena Ferretti team up. There is one very cool part with the synths played as in almost guitar fasion. I quite find that a kinda Oddyssey trademark. The music box piano is simply wonderful in the way it introduces the chorus on several occasions. Allways liked this song since I heard it on myspace.
9/10

4. CARTOON HEROES (The Paradise Last Remix) / Aqua (The Paradise Last)This would be the first big snag I find in the compilation. Quite frankly I never cared for this Aqua release, so I really didn't care for it's Eurobeat version. Her vocals sound way to cartoon high and I would rather much heard the Barbie Girl Eurobeat version. That was a cool song.
6/10

5. COME CLEAN (Lost In Paradise Euro Mix) / Hilary Duff (The Paradise Last)Hot damn! Paradise makes up for that last song one hundred fold with this remix. I never heard the original, but it has a really cool Eurobeat vibe when the right chord progressions are inserted and I must add that riff has a heavy heavy Italo flavour. I would 've liked Hilary's vocals to be maybe a tad higher, but still the song works ,beacuse of that amazing riff.
8+/10

6.GHOSTS OF SUBURBIA / Odyssey (Odyssey)
I gotta log on to myspce more often, cuz I don't remeber hearing this one at all. First off the title is all kinds of Awesome/original. He has his own style of drum beats. It's a good thing. Actually his soundworlds are like no other. Nice intro. Damn I wish it was more Dall Ora legnthy, but once that riff hits, you'll realize why Zoupzuop wears his HRG Attack avatar proud. The Very cool HRG Attack vibe in this song is the main reason I give it such a high grade. The synths almost sounds like a moog style Weezer sometimes uses and of course The Cars back in the 80's. The chorus is really singalong catchy and the riff captures the essence of the Eurobeat stylings of the premier labels. You are definatly my hero for inserting that breath taking break and a proper Eurobeat outro. I got one beef with you Odyssey. You're too into the David Dima syndrome. You really gotta come with different aliases :P
10/10(bows down)

7. BEHIND THESE HAZEL EYES (Lost In Paradise Mix) / Kelly Clarkson (The Paradise Last)
kelly goes Eurobeat :!: The soundworlds and volume level are simply amazing! Another Italo influenced riff, which makes me wonder if most pop music nowadays is actually following a similiar melody. I mean that riff fits to a T. The inserted keys in the verse lines only adds to the energy. I wonder what Kelly would think seeing her song go Eurobeat. BTW when you get a chance listen to a song by Sweet Connection called Heart To Heart. Same melody line, just slower.
9-/10

8. TIP OF MY TONGUE (Instrumental) / Odyssey (Odyssey)
We don't have enuff Instrunmentals in Eurobeat nowdays. The last ultr cool intramental was actually done by one of my favourite EUrobeat labels. That was Opera by HRG Attack. I loved that song so much. In this instrumental you can really appreciate the different soundworlds Zoupzuop uses in his music. You got the subtle piano, the basline, the guitars, the synths. This song is really fiiled with NRG. You gotta lovbe the riff. It's just so uplifting that it takes the whole song to another level. Speaking of, I wouldn't be mistaking to say that I heard some Freestyle influenced Violines in the break there. That reminded me of Johnny O's Fantasy Girl. A very well put together composition up untill the outro.
9/10

9. BRAINWASH / Nina Francis (#Infinity)
I didn't know #infinty made Eurobeat. Is this a first effort? Anyway, The first thing I notice is that the alias name sounds female, but the vocals are definately male. Something tells me you are indeed songing the track. GGMs and Sinclaire are not my top choice styles, so I was a bit skeptical, but was pleasantly surprised by that aggressive intro. Infact, the whole song has a kinda aggressive vibe, which I go absolutley nuts for. Wait a sec, that riff....Oh my.. It's Italo flavoured. What a NRG filled riff. I hear a distinct 80's Saifam vibe in that riff. The melody in the verses is really HRG Attack smart. I hear the GGMs and Sinclaire in the soundworlds, so you pretty much covers the labels' music stylings. Props to your lrics. I like the way they rhyme and you can never go wrong with Boom Boom Bang Bang.
9+/10

10.FIGHT! / Odyssey (Odyssey)
The usual Odyssey fare? Not at vall. What we got here is Mr. Odyssey discovering his aggressive vocal side. I actually hear duel vocals that sound a tad distinct. This adds a second demension to the song. The Zoupzuop style trademark riff is ever present and really captures the essence of a fighting match. The moog style synths have that special subtle aggressiveness in them as well. Probly the best part(while there are many) is that chorus with it's scream wich perfectly fusses with those drums and immediately kicks in that riff, which will probly be stuck in my head for days. You really picked the cream of the crop from your creations this TIME.
9/10

11. BURN MY HEART / Ray Dynamo (DTZ Project)
So this is the ditz production eh, Heavy SCP vibe. The first case of an amueture Eurobeat vocalist sharing his vocals with another label :P This is a really amazing song. The soundworlds are sharing the same NRG as the other top Eurobeat deities. When I say this, I mean that the fusion of instruments is is really Eurobeat smart. The TIMEing, Settings, speed and even the volume is just the weay I like it....and Odyssey sounds damn hot on this number. BTW, that's what I mean by Aliases. Thums up across the board.
10+/10

This is actually a very nice compilation. I guess I'll run it through the audacity program to creat seperate tracks and put on my cell. Don't be surprise to find yourself side by side with the Masters in next week's Dr NRG Eurogrooves countdown.

Hopefully this will not be the last compilation you guys put together. What ever you do, please don't sell your rights to AVEX :P
Last edited by drnrg on Apr 11th, '09, 08:24, edited 2 times in total.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » Apr 11th, '09, 07:33

#Infinity wrote:Is it possible for these songs to be released individually? The podcast was awesome, but I'd love to fit some of them onto my iPod like regular tracks.
The release of each song is dependent on the individual producers/composers. They retain all copyrights, publishing, etc. to their tracks.
I personally sell my tracks on my Myspace. What they do is up to them.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » Apr 11th, '09, 08:03

In reply to Lebon, I appreciate your kind words about Burn My Heart. I never actually noticed the resemblance to Burn Burn Get My Fire to be honest (which is odd considering I wrote the track!) but I can see where you're coming from with that. Gives the track more of a tie in to Hi-NRG Attack which is fine by me :)

As for the tracks that really didn't have that SEB sound, I would agree with zoupzuop2 that with limited resources compared with the larger Avex labels, it would be nigh-on impossible to get a comparable sound to them. What I do personally is I write tracks very much in the style of Eurobeat, but when it comes to the production, I try to put my own "DTZ Project" twist on the genre to try and set it apart from "official, professional" Eurobeat.

My other aim is to prove that you can produce quality tracks using just your PC. Burn My Heart was produced completely in FL Studio 8 Producer's Edition, and I'm quite proud of that fact. I would never pretend that it rivals Dima/SCP/GGM in terms of production quality, but for an independent "bedroom PC" set-up, I don't think it sounds too bad :P

#Infinity - you already have Burn My Heart, but I'm sure that you could split a couple of tracks from the podcast if you wanted. I'm hoping to eventually sell my tracks when I have enough to justify and EP-style release like Odyssey. ;)

Really looking forward to your review drnrg - and your fantasy sleeve! I'll eventually be creating my own "cover" for the track, so I'd be interested to see if your ideas match my own :grin: